I’ll be honest, usually i’m not a fan of eggplants, I find them bland, tasteless and their texture just freaks me out. But i’m persistent, I want to like them because they are so good for you and can be used in so many different recipes, I guess persistence pays off! I’ve finally come up with a recipe where I actually enjoyed them! Behold- Moroccan spiced quinoa stuffed eggplants. This recipe is flavourful and aromatic, the varying textures of the softness of the quinoa and eggplant combined with the crunch of the pomegranate and nuts really complements each other nicely. The sweetness of the pomegranate really gives the dish an edge when combined with the savoury elements of the quinoa and eggplant.
Eggplant is an excellent source of dietary fiber, vitamin B1, and copper. It is also a good source of manganese, vitamin B6, niacin, potassium, folate, and vitamin K. Rich in phytonutrients and antioxidant compounds, eggplant is an amazing vegetable thats fantastic for your health.
This recipe acts perfectly as a side dish or appetiser in accompaniment to a main meal. It’s bright, colourful and attractive appearance will impress friends and family and once they taste it I can guarantee you they will be asking you for more.
- 2 Large Eggplants
- 1 Cup Quinoa
- 2 Cups Vegetable stock (Salt Reduced)
- 2 Tsp Cumin
- 2 Tsp Sweet Paprika
- 1 Tsp Curry Powder
- 1 Large Pomegranate
- Handful Pistachios
- Handful Slithered Almonds
- Mint (Optional)
- Cut each eggplant in half length ways, with a knife gently cut down diagonally along the side of the eggplant (not all the way down) and then again across the other way to make a hash pattern.
- Add half the amount required of the spices and mix together into a bowl , rub spices into eggplant and add salt, bake in oven on 180ºC until the centre is soft enough to scoop out (Don't overcook!)
- While the eggplant is cooking, prepare the quinoa by washing it and brining it to a boil with a 2:1 ratio of liquid (vegetable stock) to quinoa. Once cooked, allow to sit with the lid on for a further 10 minutes to allow it to fluff up.
- Remove the eggplants, scoop out centre. Add the remaining spices to the quinoa (add more if desired) and mix through.
- Stuff the eggplants with the quinoa and place on a tray lined with baking paper.
- Cook on oven at 180ºC until golden and soft. Remove
- Core pomegranate and chop pistachios. Sprinkle pomegranate, almonds and pistachios on top as well as mint leaves if you desire. Serve.